Thursday, May 04, 2006

Kind Hearts And Coronets


Firstly, cheers The Daily Mail, free DVD's galore, and this as the post title suggests is an Ealing Classic.

It's famous mainly for Sir Alec Guinness' turn as all eight members of the D'Ascoyne family, all the blurb focusses on Guinness' performance, which while top notch, is, I feel, eclipsed by Dennis Price as the central character, Louis Mazzini.

It's slow going, for me at least, while the composition and cutting certainly shows it's age, the acting is natural, relaxed and far better than I've seen in most other films of this era.

The story kicks off with Louis in his cell waiting to be hanged (hung?), he is writing his memoirs and this takes us through the tale of how he came to be in his current situation. It's an interesting and entertaining journey, one of the secondary players Sibella (played by Joan Greenwood), has a husky allure that bugged me throughout (in a good way), I have since decided that she sounds like Felicety Kendal, which is no bad thing ;)

One other thing that struck me about this film is how racy it is, there's some serious suggestion in there, which surprised me for a 1949 picture.

Overall, it's a good film, definitly worth watching, terribly british and terribly terribly good performances.

Kind Hearts And Coronets - 8/10

Blog Update: A couple of friends have accepted my invitations to contribute to this blog, look out for reviews from them (one being "The Squid And The Whale") coming up sometime soon.

No comments: